Wednesday, February 11, 2009

888


What: The best pho on Argyle. 
Venue: Pho 888 (on Argyle, off Broadway); not to be confused with any other digit thrice repeated.
Bottomline: A destination worth the pilgrimage for any zealous pho enthusiast. 

The Macapugay thumb of approval.
We were pleasantly surprised by a wait staff that would actually fill up our water, but even more surprised at the pho served up here. A symphonic broth with all the usual cast, each ingredient at an appropriate volume, and all in harmony with the melodic beef notes sung by bone marrow and braised meat. I'd pay double for this stuff if I had to, but please don't tell them that. 

If you've never had pho, this is a good starting point and a prime example of what pho should be.

BTW, peeve #163: pronouncing pho "foe". It's pronounced "fuck" without the "ck".

See my full review on Yelp:

1 comment:

  1. To argue who has the best pho in the city of Chicago is bringing about a competitive side to me that can become very ugly. Noodles are by far my favorite indulgence no matter what ethnicity.

    When I began eating Pho in 1999, I was convinced that Pho 777 was the best. It also helped that my college buddies, Dan and Mike Lu's aunt owned this business at the time. When ownership changed circa 2003-2004, quality wasn't up to my normal standards espeically going to Vietnamese family parties and eating it straight from a mother's/grandmother's kitchen.

    I've been going through periods of going to several Pho restaurants and not being able to say that's my favorite or passing my "Would I go out of my way to eat this" test. After eating at Pho 888, I can say that outside of mama's kitchen, this ranks as one of the best in Chicago. After walking into 888, I knew I was in for something good by just the smell alone. The aroma of perfectly balanced spices, herbs, and slow cooked beef bones and marrow had me addicted.

    A combination of great service and amazing Pho will have me going to this place for years to come.

    ReplyDelete